My recommendations from Black Hat USA 2016 in Las Vegas
I had the opportunity to be at the briefings portion of the Black Hat conference in Las Vegas this year.
The keynote on the first day of the conference was titled “The Hidden Architecture of our Time: Why This Internet Worked, How We Could Lose It, and the Role Hackers Play”, presented by Dan Kaminsky from White Ops. He covered the need for a speed based approach in information security, and how the time we have to learn and adapt has shorter cycles now. He mentioned that he prefers the term “isolation technology” over “sandboxing”, which is a more accurate description.
Here are some of the Briefings I attended, with links to the slide presentations:
- Beyond the MCSE: Active Directory for the Security Professional
- Memory Forensics Using Virtual Machine Introspection for Cloud Computing
- Hackproofing Oracle eBusiness Suite
- HEIST: HTTP Encrypted Information can be Stolen Through TCP-Windows
- An Insider’s Guide to Cyber-Insurance and Security Guarantees
- Breaking Kernel Address Space Layout Randomization (KASLR) with Intel TSX
- The Remote Malicious Butler Did It!
- Analysis of the Attack Surface of Windows 10 Virtualization-Based Security
- Windows 10 Mitigation Improvements
- OSS Security Maturity: Time to Put On Your Big Boy Pants!
- Attacking SDN Infrastructure: Are We Ready for the Next-Gen Networking?